hello iceland!

Or should I say Haló!

Because if you were hoping to hear me speak any Icelandic, that’s all your getting.

This is definitely my first experience with a non-romantic foreign language. Because even when reading straight out of a phrase book, I can’t pronounce anything. And I mean anything.

For example, a simple “thank you” in Icelandic is “Þakka þér fyrir” (pronounced Thah-ka thyer fi-rir.)

This hasn’t really been too inconvenient so far (despite half of the people we meet not speaking any English at all) because the locals seem to be very reserved. When Caroline attempted to ask our cab driver where he was from he promptly responded “Iceland.” And when she asked where in Iceland, he ignored her. But he opened the car door for us on arrival at our hostel, and was generally gentle in demeanor otherwise.

I N  O T H E R  N E W S . . .

And disclaimer the content below is about to get

B O R I N G.


This is the unfortunate but completely accurate account of our day so far:

We arrived in Iceland about 4:00 AM local time//12:15 AM Boston time and got our bearings in the airport for about three hours. My card declined at the ATM because Suntrust is a terrible bank for traveling. Literally every time I leave the state it cuts off. Even though I ALWAYS give the necessary travel notices.

(Fixing this situation will probably prove to be difficult as I cannot email my bank nor make international calls from my cellphone but that is neither here nor there.)

So after exchanging some cash currency, looking up cab fares, and buying a ham and cheese sandwich (because that’s the only safe looking airport food I could find).. We get one local cab driver who luckily speaks broken English to help us explain to another cab driver where we are going.

Where we are going is five minutes and 17,000 Icelandic krona away from the airport. ((About $20))

(Iceland is expensive)

It is very close to the ocean in Keflavik and looks like a very small fishing town. It is 48 degrees and by now about 7:30AM local time. We have not slept. The cab pulls away and we have no idea which rundown building is ours so we attempt to open all the doors around us. They are all locked except for one, which IS luckily one of the dorm buildings for our hostel, but there is no front desk. So we find a wall phone and call the number listed on the sight. A very sleepy man informs us that check in isn’t until 4PM.

It is now 8:00 AM local time so about 4AM to our bodies and Caroline. is. so. tired.

(and to be honest kind of grouchy but who wouldn’t be)

I am surprisingly NOT tired.

or grouchy.

(which is not normal behavior for me so I must be really excited to be here)

Not about to face the wind outside to wait to check in, (which is probably some of the strongest wind I’ve ever experienced)  we slept on some uncomfortable dirty old futons in what I am assuming to be a make shift lounge area for about five hours.

Eventually a very friendly cleaning lady led us to the main building (which was much nicer than the one where we slept) and made us coffee.

We are still in that lounge.

I told you this was about to be boring.

We still haven’t checked in to our room yet.

We are jet lagged and cold and bored. And we haven’t really been conversing because we are trying to utilize the wifi while we can.

The last thing Caroline did say to me was:

“Thank God, we aren’t in Nashville right now.”

And I have to agree.

Because even though I possibly probably already have bed bugs, and I only have so much cash to use as currency before I’m broke and stranded in a foreign country where there are three different four word phrases used just to say please,

I am happier than I have been in a long long time.

Below is a picture from an Icelandic guidebook I’ve been reading for the past two hours. Enjoy.


Leave a Reply